Advancement in technology has brought huge changes in our everyday life and has greatly affected the students’ way of life.
Everything is done online, from writing notes to research or even downloading movies that you can watch during your time. Ph.D. students spend most of their time doing intensive research, web browsing and compiling data to develop an outstanding thesis that is realistic and can help address real problems encountered in everyday life. Therefore, they need to use an extraordinary computer that can help them multitask and finish their work on time.
Time is crucial for any Ph.D. student. To make the most out of it, they need a powerful computer that ensures that they complete high-quality projects, write notes electronically faster and move from one place to another, collecting real-time data for their research work.
They also spend long hours working on their projects, and therefore a good screen display with higher resolution will enable them to edit their work easily and protect their eyes from straining. Here are the best laptop for Ph.D. students and the buyer’s guide.
The TOP 6 Best Laptops for Ph.D. Students in 2021
1. HP Envy 13 Laptop
- READY WHENEVER INSPIRATION STRIKES:...
- SUPER FAST PROCESSOR AND GRAPHICS:...
- HIGHER BANDWITH MEMORY & FAST BOOTUP...
- CRYSTAL CLEAR DISPLAY: Intuitive...
- LONG BATTERY LIFE, LIGHTWEIGHT, &...
- BACKLIT KEYBOARD: Control your privacy,...
- OPERATING SYSTEM & WARRANTY: Do great...
- UNHACKABLE SECURITY: State-of-the-art...
- BIOS RECOVERY & PROTECTION:...
- ENVIROMENTALLY CONSCIOUS: Low halogen,...
HP Envy 13 Laptop is a lightweight computer that is great for multitasking with 8 Gigabyte memory and 26 Gigabyte solid-state drive. Therefore, it is swift and robust, allowing you to accomplish any Ph.D. work within no time.
This machine weighs 2.88 pounds making it lightweight enough to travel with when you are going to the field to collect data. It is powered by the latest Core i7, a clock speed of 1.3GHz, and 4 processor counts.
This computer has a 13.3’’ touchscreen diagonal display screen, which is eye-friendly, and documents can be viewed with much ease. The battery can last up to 15 hours 15 minutes, and therefore you can stay productive all day long.
Measuring at 7.66” x 12.07” x 0.67”, it has a Thunderbolt 3 port and USB Type-C and wireless connectivity, and a backlit keyboard.
- 13.3-inch touchscreen display
- Responsive backlit keyboard
- 8 Gigabyte memory and 256 Gigabyte solid-state drive
- It comes with a 1-year warranty
- Powered by 10th Gen Core i7
- The longer battery life of up to 15 hours
- Compact and lightweight design, which makes it easy to carry around
2. ASUS TUF5061U-ES74 Gaming Laptop
- NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 6GB GDDR6...
- 8-core AMD Ryzen 7 4800H Processor 45W...
- 15.6" 144Hz Full HD IPS-Type Display
- 16GB DDR4 3200MHz RAM | 512GB PCIe NVMe...
- 90WHr battery | Up to 8.7 hours web...
- Durable MIL-STD-810H military standard...
- Self cleaning dual fans with anti-dust...
- RGB backlit keyboard rated for...
- Easy Upgrade Design | Easily add or...
- Gigabit Wave 2 Wi-Fi 5 (802.11ac)
ASUS TUF is suitable for web browsing as you can download files and links within seconds. Therefore for up to 8.7 hours, you can carry out any internet searching with this computer.
It has 6 ports, making it easy to connect it to external devices, while the mighty WiFi ensures ultrafast downloading of documents.
ASUS TUF5061U-ES74 is powered by the latest AMD Ryzen 7, including NVIDIA GeForce 1660 Ti 6GB GDDR6 graphics, which is very fast and robust, and thus you can undertake several programs at once with this machine.
With a display of 15.6 inches, you can see all corrections to incorporate in your thesis. As you undertake your intensive research, this laptop is capable of self-cleaning, and it durable withMIL-STD-810H military construction and makes it the best laptop for Ph.D.students.
- 15.6’’ IPS display as well as a backlit keyboard
- 8.7 hours of battery life
- 16 Gigabyte memory and 512 Gigabyte SSD
- Powered by AMD Ryzen 7 CPU
- Windows 10 Home operating system
3. HP ENVY x360 15-Inch FHD Touchscreen 2-in-1 Laptop
- 12GB DDR4 SDRAM, 256GB Solid State...
- 360 degree flip-and-fold design, 15.6"...
- AMD Ryzen 5 2500U Quad-Core Processor...
- 802.11ac, Bluetooth 4.2, 2 x USB Type-A...
- Windows 10 64-Bit Home, Up to Up to 9...
HP has a reputation for making the best products such as HP ENVY 2-in-1 Laptop which is very fast and hugely strong thus you can carry out any multitasking work within seconds.
It is enhanced with 8GB memory and 512 Gigabyte SSD capacity, which is rapid and efficient. The security has been enhanced with a webcam switch and fingerprint reader.
HP ENVY has a 15-inch display, which allows you to carry out intensive research with much ease.
Additionally, it has a versatile and brand new look that makes it attractive with its unparalleled beauty. It is slightly lightweight, and its measurement is 14.13 x 9.68 x 0.68 inches.
- 8 Gigabyte memory and 512 Gigabyte SSD
- 3 USB ports, WIFI, and Bluetooth connectivity
- 14 hour and 45 minutes long battery life
- Webcam kill Switch and Fingerprint reader
- 10th Gen Core i7 CPU
- It comes with a backlit keyboard
4. Dell Inspiron 15 Laptop
- 8th Gen Intel Core i7-8550U Processor,...
- 8GB DDR4 Memory for dependable...
- Dual drive (1tb+128gb SSD) a flash-based...
- 15. 6" Full HD display display's touch)....
- No Optical Drive. Ports & slots: 2x USB...
Dell Inspiron 15 enables you to browse and download files faster from the internet. It has the best and ultrafast WiFi and is relatively lightweight, and has a compact design, making it a bit easy to carry.
The good thing about using this machine is that it has many USB ports and HDMI for easy connection with other external devices.
Dell Inspiron 15 Laptop has a classic design that highlights the realistic Intel UHD graphics 620 and is powered by Core i7 and thus offering superb performance.
Besides, it comes with features that include 1TB + 128GB SSD and 8 Gigabyte memory that allows you to handle more than one activity at once. With the 15 inch display, you can communicate with your lecturers well and read your coursework.
- 15.6-inch FHD screen display
- Powered by Intel Core i7 processor
- It is relatively lightweight with a weight of 4.41 pounds
- 8 Gigabyte memory and 1TB+ 128GB SSD
- It comes with many USB ports and an HDMI
5. MSI Modern 15 Ultra-Thin Laptop
- 15.6" IPS-Level 60Hz 72%NTSC Thin Bezel,...
- Intel Core i7-10510U 1.8 - 4.9GHz |...
- 16GB (16G*1) DDR4 2666MHz | 2 Sockets;...
- USB 3.2 Gen2 *2; 3.2 Gen1*1 | USB 3.2...
- White backlight 84 Key | Multi Touch |...
Ultra-thin, light, and portable is something you would like on a laptop as a Ph.D. student. Therefore you can travel anywhere with this machine as you do your considerable research and you can be productive all day because it runs up to 9 hours long of continuous use.
With dedicated graphics of NVIDIA GeForce MX330 and a processor of Core i7, you will take your computer’s performance to another level.
It is, therefore, faster and makes an excellent choice for Ph.D. students. MSI Modern 15 has impressive performance with 16 Gigabytes of memory and 512 Gigabytes SSD.
With the true color technology and a 15.6-inch screen, display images will be clear in different modes, thus allowing you to create wonderful moments as you undertake your Ph.D. studies.
- Great 9-hour battery life
- Portable and ultra-thin
- It comes with 8 Gigabytes of memory and 512 Gigabytes SSD
- Powered by Core i7 as well as NVIDIA GeForce MX330 graphics
- 3 USB ports for external connectivity
6. Acer Swift 3 Laptop
- 8th Generation Intel Core i7 8565u...
- 14" Full HD (1920 x 1080) IPS widescreen...
- Back lit keyboard, Intel Wireless AC...
- 1 USB Type C ports USB 3. 1 Gen 2 (up to...
- Windows 10 Home & 4 cell Li Ion (3220...
Acer Swift 3 is the modern computer for any Ph.D. student who wants to undertake high-quality research on their thesis and compile an unmatched high-quality report.
It is ultra-portable, and the execution of this machine is on another level. The memory of 8 Gigabytes is rapid, and you can multitask and download files within seconds from the internet with the latest WiFi, which is very fast.
This computer allows you to be super productive as it can run up to 12 hours long, and the storage capacity is big.
The keyboard is excellent, and you can work well even in dim light areas. Acer Swift 3 Laptop has more ports, and therefore you can transfer your files within no time.
The storage capacity of 256 Gigabytes is sufficient for all your files and data.
- 12 hours of battery life
- 8 Gigabytes memory and 128 Gigabytes SSD
- Powered by Core i7
- Fingerprint reader and backlit keyboard
- Very light weighing 2.98 pounds
- 3 USB ports and HDMI
How to Choose the Best Laptop for Ph.D. students
As a Ph.D. student, when you are shopping for a computer that you will use for your intensive research work and overall Ph.D. work, you should consider the following features.
- Processor – As a Ph.D. student, you should get a computer with AMD Ryzen 7 or Intel Core i7 or higher, as this will allow you to complete your research work on time. This processor is high-speed, and you can complete any project within no time. A laptop with this CPU has excellent performance, and you can perform more tasks simultaneously as you compare several data before you get the final data.
- Solid State Drive (SSD) – A computer with SSD is good for a Ph.D. student because it will allow you to complete your work efficiently and faster. Therefore, it will save you time, and you can research other useful information that will help you complete your Ph.D. course.
- Weight – Choosing a lightweight laptop is paramount for you as a Ph.D. student because you will carry it easily in your laptop bag as you travel to collect your data or as you attend lectures. You cannot change your computer’s weight, which is why you need to choose the right one from the beginning.
- RAM – as a Ph.D. student, you should choose a computer with 6GB memory or more because you are always undertaking more than one task at once, and higher memory will allow you to undertake those multiple tasks faster and complete them on time.
- Display – a computer with 13 inches of display or more is ideal for you because you will not strain your eyes as you include comments on your thesis, and also, you will be able to view text clearly with a higher and good display.
- Many ports – As a Ph.D. student, you have several external connectivities for your computer. Therefore, choosing one with 3 or more connectivity features will allow you to connect to external devices and smoothly transfer your data.
- Battery life – Battery life is also a crucial factor when choosing the best computer for your Ph.D. Therefore, you should choose one with longer battery life as you will frequently be traveling to collect data for your research work, and you may not get a place to plug in your charger. Therefore, the longer the battery life, the higher you will be productive.
Getting the right computer is crucial as a Ph.D. student because you are always researching and traveling to collect data. Hence getting the best laptop for Ph.D. students that can address your needs well is one way of achieving a high-quality report. With the above computers and buyers guide, you will get one that specifically addresses your needs and will ensure that nothing limits you when undertaking your post-graduate work.
- The Best Laptop for Business, Gaming, or Personal Use
- The Best Budget Laptops for E-commerce Business in 2021
Last update on 2021-04-12 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API